Monday, October 13, 2008

The End.


I firmly believe it's tacky to make fun of the idea of suicide. However, I've gotten great joy at making fun of people that I believe should at least consider suicide. Just kidding. Kind of. Anyways, when I read this book was being released electronically so it would be more readily available to the target market (old people), I couldn't really believe that such a thing could exist. The title is indeed more thoughtful than one titled "Suicide for Dummies." I could imagine a Fall Out Boy-listening suburban kid, sick of school lunch, coming to the tipping point by merely look at the title realizing that their pathetic-ness is embodied in them seeking out a book that will help them figure out how to kill themselves. It might not get more pathetic than that. (I'm aware that I am basing this on a false assumption that this book is for people depressed from something other than old age suffering).

I love the fact that there is a "revised international edition." The only reason I could think of a need for revision for international purposes is because some unfortunate people in South America figured out that jumping off of a four foot tall hut made out of garbage wasn't going to achieve their goal. Even if they attempted a head first Olympic-like dive.

The thing about this that really puzzled me the most is that there are people who rated it on Amazon. I have several problems with this. If this is a book about the options in ending life, how are the people who read it alive to post a rating? Five stars for what exactly? I refuse to believe that anyone would read this for fun. A light summer read.

One reader posted, "...it is the only game in town at this time as far as I know so I'm glad that I have it in my library in spite of the high cost. " Huh? If you are looking into ending life. What does it matter if it the book cost $35? This guy might be the cheapest person ever. "I was going to end it all but it was just too damn expensive." (Good name for an Emo band?)

"Knowing that I have this book is such peace of mind for me and my boyfriend because should anything happen I want to control MY outcome." I can't even imagine how many times this couple has cried after sex.

"I gave it 2 stars because of the typography..." Wait...what? "You know I checked out this book from the library the other day and I thought it was going to tell me what pills I can take and where I could get them to kill myself but I could never get past how annoying the font was."

In a way these reader's opinions of the book perfectly embodies my idea of the type of people who need a book to tell them how to end life: people who never get over complaining about everything and anything...and then I read over everything I've ever written on this blog. A little too close to home.

No comments: