Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Let drawers draw.


There has been much debate on whether the UPS guy (Andy Garcia's doppleganger) is actually drawing in the UPS Whiteboard Commercials. When I first saw the commercials I didn't even question whether it was real or not. I just assumed it was. It really didn't/doesn't seem that hard to believe. Sure I thought to myself, this guy is right on the money with that marker. A true marksman! But not once did I think, "Yea right buddy, get real!" The past few weeks it has come on TV as I've been out and I've heard multiple people argue about if whether the guy is actually drawing or if it's done on computers. I mean it is obvious that the newer commercials use enhanced digital graphics because the pictures are moving and shit. If they didn't use computers on those then the ladies better start lining up for Andy Azula because he truly does have magical fingers.

So as more and more people argued about it I started to notice that many more girls (probably a coincidence) didn't believe he was actually drawing. I mean at least 3 girls I know (I can't believe I know more than 2) thought Mr. Azula was full of shit. All of the guys that I asked said they thought he was drawing it but also followed there analyzation up with a "Who really gives a shit?" Fair enough. So after doing a small investigation (that's what they teach us in Advertising) I found the answer. There is a rather extensive analysis of the UPS Whiteboard campaign on Slate that reads, "As an art director who'd made countless storyboards, he also had a knack for fast, fun sketching. (Though a professional illustrator was employed on the set to speed things up by redrawing the whiteboard between takes. 'He had to repress his skills to imitate my style,' says Azula.)"

So Andy is indeed an art director and is actually drawing on the commercials although a professional does redraw the base scene when Mr. Azula's hair gets in his eyes. Azula himself discusses why he was chosen over the actors who auditioned, "I think a lot of the actors had great presence when they faced the camera. But they were actually uncomfortable talking away from the camera and drawing. Turning back and forth and reconnecting with your drawing is a little trickier than it looks." So Andy is drawing on these commercials. I'm not sure if the marks are digitally enhanced to make them look better, but the original lines are actually drawn. It seriously shouldn't be that hard to believe, I mean it's not even as amazing as:

(This could be fake! Let's argue!)

If you still don't believe me:
On the Spot: Martin's Azula
Back to the Drawing Board

But c'mon, is it really that hard to believe?

1 comment:

laura said...

yeah.